Thursday, June 16, 2016

Little smarty

Today was my first day home with the kids, and it was pretty good. Not sunshine-and-roses awesome (if anything my middle child, E, was more headstrong and smart-mouthed than usual), but it was nice. This afternoon we went to the dollar store to get supplies for building habitat dioramas (as you do the first day of summer break) and the library. We were taking a longer route back home that would take us through the park and around the duck pond. As we walked along, my backpack full of construction paper and markers, and the tote bag on my shoulder full of books, my toddler, C, started singing to herself. Arms flung wide she sang, "This little smarty of mine, I'm gonna let it shine. This little smarty of mine, I'm gonna let it shine." Over and over she sang in her happy little girl voice.

I was really surprised because I never taught her that song, let alone these amended lyrics. But was we walked along, it felt so appropriate. I didn't realize what a strain school was until it was gone. Now I can just let my kids do their own thing, and shine in their own way.

It's going to be a good summer.